Night Shunter: Edmonton, AB
Reporting to: Jim Foster
Hours & Shifts: 5x8hr. shifts. 9pm-5am Monday to Friday or as per occupational requirements.
Summary: Reporting to the Transportation Supervisor, the Shunter is responsible for coordinating empty or loaded Good Food Service trailers from the distribution dock doors and connecting them to the appropriate transit truck. This position shall operate equipment and demonstrate working knowledge of the tractor and trailer and ensure that it’s suitable for transport of food products.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communication – Communicate with supervisor and/or team members to determine scheduled assignments, delivery changes and on-time delivery expectations.
- Driving and Delivery – Coordinate and operate transportation vehicles in the most efficient manner. Obey all safety regulations when operating transportation vehicle. Responsible for the transferring / pick-ups / drop-offs of product / vehicles between buildings for GFS Edmonton.
- Maintenance - Safely and professionally operate truck and trailer. Maintain security of assigned transportation vehicle and products at all times. Ensure cleanliness of cab and trailer. Report any damage to your assigned transportation vehicle. Be cognizant of any mechanical problems. Ensure refrigeration units are operational.
- Customer Service - Strive to create positive internal and external relationships while encouraging strong customer service. Identify needs and follow through on requests. Report and/or resolve any challenges that were encountered.
- Administration - Ensure that all required paperwork and record keeping are up-to-date and accurate as well as in compliance with governmental requirement (pre-trip and vehicle inspection, etc.).
- Other duties as may be assigned, from time-to-time by Immediate Supervisor.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Valid Class 1 or Class A license with a clean commercial drivers abstract
- Must be physically fit and able to repeatedly lift, stack, pull and carry heavy items (up to 60 lbs)
- Must have strong communication and customer service skills and the ability to deal with people on all levels
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Must demonstrate a proven record of consistent on-time attendance
- Excellent time management skills
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must pass a Road Test, Physical Abilities Test and a Background Check
- 1 year of Commercial Driving experience is preferred
- A high school diploma is preferred
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather and temperature ranges (including being able to safely operate the equipment during poor road and driving conditions)
- Must be able to handle all types of food products including fresh: seafood, beef, pork, produce, nuts, spices, milk, eggs, etc.
- Steel toe (CSA approved) footwear is required at all times.
Starting Wage: $22.00/hr